It’s coming. The holidays, the family, the food, the weight gain, the shopping, the wrapping, the excitement, the stress. Many of us feel stress over the holidays for a variety of reasons. For some, spending time with family can bring up a lot of family dynamics that we often try to forget. For others, finding the perfect present, making sure everyone has what he or she needs, can be stressful. For others, just trying to find time to enjoy the holidays can be difficult with balancing jobs, family, pets and more. At Life Essentials Day Spa we have a few tips to help you reduce the stress in your life so you can enjoy the spirit of the holidays.
1. Identify your stress. Take a few minutes to ask what it is about the holidays that really wears you down. Is it family? Is it finding balance in your life? Is it about making others happy? Once you identify what causes stress, ask yourself how you can reduce the stress. Feel free to start new traditions. If the cost of presents stresses you out, make an agreement that everyone will stay within a $20.00 or $10.00 budget or make homemade gifts that don’t cost anything. If you feel like your holidays are passing by because you work too hard, get up an hour early so you have a little time to yourself.
2. Forgiveness and compassion. People are products of what they have been taught. None of us are perfect people. While it is important to surround yourself with people who will lift you up and encourage your hopes and dreams, it is equally important to forgive those who have hurt you in the past. You don’t have to invite those people back into your life, but carrying around hurt and anger can affect you physically and emotionally. Remember, those who are cruel have usually suffered cruelty and hurt, too.
3. Pamper yourself. Taking an hour or two, or even a half-day to be pampered can help reduce and relieve holiday stress. At Life Essentials Day Spa we offer individual treatments and packages to help you relax. Our Queen for a Day Package includes a 60 minute Sugar Glow, a 60 minute deep tissue massage, an Ultimate Anti-Aging Facial, ultimate manicure, ultimate pedicure and spa lunch. Deep tissue massage, hot stone massage, or a relaxing Swedish massage will release tired and overworked muscles. Our Oxygen Anti-Aging facial will have your face refreshed and feeling and looking younger. Reflexology includes massage and pressure point techniques to help sore feet after a long day of shopping.
4. Gratitude. The holidays were intended to celebrate love and giving (not financially, but from the heart). As you walk down the street, smile at strangers. You’ll notice your heart will start to feel lighter, too. Hug the ones you love. Tell them you love them. Think of the things you are grateful for in your life.
5. Get out and exercise. Getting at least 20 minutes of exercise a day where your heart rate is elevated releases endorphins into your body that help you feel happy. In Steamboat there are so many options for exercising that it’s easy to find something you enjoy doing. Consider one or more of the following: snow shoeing, skiing, cross country skiing, winter biking, swimming in the hot springs, skijoring, and even dog sledding.
When just thinking about the holidays causes your muscles to tighten up or your heart rate to increase, make an appointment at Life Essentials Day Spa so we can take care of you and make life a little more enjoyable before the new year!