Fall is coming. Kids are heading back to school, tourists are flying back to their homes throughout the country and abroad and Steamboat is returning to a quieter, more peaceful way of life. For a lot of Steamboat locals fall means a little time off before the busy winter season begins. If you are in Steamboat and are looking for ways to spend your downtime, here are our top ten favorite ways to enjoy mud season:
1. Hike up Fish Creek Falls to the aspen grove. Find a place to lie on the ground and watch the leaves turn from green to gold.
2. Soak in the Strawberry Park Hot Springs. There’s nothing more beautiful than watching the moonrise at the hot springs without the crowds. Lie back and let the hot water soothe you as the stars sparkle above.
3. Hike or bike somewhere you have never been before. Between the Mount Zirkel Wilderness and the Flat Top Mountains, there are tons of trails for all ages and abilities. If you need help finding a place to go, pick up a copy of ‘Hiking The Boat,’ open it to a random page and head out.
4. Have a cupcake from Mountain Brew. Now that it’s mud season, the cupcakes might actually last past 10 a.m. (Be prepared for a serious sugar buzz!)
5. Use your BOGO at Life Essentials Day Spa. Each year Life Essentials Day Spa offers a Buy One Get One Free series. Bring a friend and enjoy a Swedish massage or a facial. If you didn’t get your BOGO this past Spring, call (970) 871-9543 to sign up for their email list so you can be sure to get a deal this October or send a friendly email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Catch the last rays of summer at Sunpie’s Bistro. The homey atmosphere makes you feel like you’re in a friend’s backyard instead of at a bar and that’s what we love about Sunpies. Watch the sun go down behind Howelsen Hill as you sip on a Hurricane or beverage of choice.
7. Buy some winter gear on sale. By the time the first snows hit you want to be sure you already have all the gear you need. Go through what you have piece by piece and replace it if you need to so you’re ready as soon as the snows start falling to get out and enjoy.
8.Visit Café Diva for date night. The two for one entree makes our favorite fine dining experience affordable for everyone.
9. Get your elk tags. Hunting season is almost upon us, so get your tags and fill your freezer with fresh elk meat.
10. Go on a First Friday Stroll. Steamboat has been recognized time and again for our vibrant art scene. The first Friday of every month galleries open their doors and share appetizers and beverages while you peruse Steamboat’s amazing local artists!